Despite construction fatalities decreasing to 6 in 2017, compared with 9 in 2016, many avoidable accidents still occurred where the victims suffered serious life changing injuries.
This was despite substantial improvements in construction safety and safety awareness occurring.
In their 2017-2019 plan, the Construction Safety Partnership outline 6 objectives aimed at improving construction site safety.
- Objective 1: To improve safety and health for small contractors, the self-employed and all working on small projects
- Objective 2: To improve and promote safety and health innovation in the sector
- Objective 3: Safety Consultation, worker engagement and safety representatives
- Objective 4: Occupational Health in Construction
- Objective 5: Training, Qualifications and Professionalism
- Objective 6: Clients, Designers and Project Supervisors for the Design Process
Necessary Safety Precautions
The 6th and final objective is probably where we at Skyway have the most input and engagement. We feel that it is of the utmost importance to have the necessary safety precautions in place before work gets underway. This includes a safety assessment and method statement, having the correct safety equipment is in place while ensuring that all workers are fully trained and competent in using this safety equipment. This is vital across all areas of construction activity but takes on significant importance where working at height is involved.
Roof Guardrail Systems
Having a guardrail system in place is the preferred option on roofs, as this provides collective protection and so significantly lessens the chances of equipment being misused.
Our KeeGuard range provides alternative options for most roof types, including fixed, freestanding, radiused, raked and folding.
Fall Prevention Roof Cable Systems
Fall prevention cable systems are another effective solution, although these are reliant on workers using the correct PPE and applying it correctly. In the case of Fall Arrest, a further rescue plan needs to be in place to safely retrieve the victim in the case of a fall. Despite the fall having been arrested, they still may have suffered significant injuries and every second takes on huge significance.