Firstly, the answer is that guardrail should be used as the first consideration over a fall prevention cable system, and is recommended when regular access to the protected area is required. A cable system should be a secondary consideration, and used when the roof in question is only to be accessed at sporadic periods. With more frequent access, it makes sense to eliminate the risk entirely by inserting a perimeter guardrail, which also allows more of the roof space to be available for equipment, services etc.
The benefits of having a guardrail system in place over a cable system are:
- Provides collective protection rather than having to hook on and access through the use of a lanyard and harness.
- This ensures that anyone can access the roof and do not require specialized training in the use of PFPE.
- There is no need for annual re-certification (Fall Prevention System) or 6 month inspection (PFPE). (Although it is good practice to self-examine the guardrail regularly in order to ensure there are no defects caused by tampering etc).
- Excludes the need to have a rescue plan in operation in the case of a fall arrest situation occurring.
- There is peace of mind provided in knowing that whoever accesses the roof is safe from falling and will not be in need of rescue, whereas if a fall arrest system is in place, a ‘buddy system’ is required in order to organise a rescue if such a fall took place.
Benefits of a KeeGuard® system:
Flexibility- There are various types of guardrail to suit the requirements. These can include freestanding or fixed, non-penetrative, suitable for areas of limited space and even collapsible in order to avoid spoiling the aesthetics of a building.
Long Lasting- Built to last- Each of our guardrail solutions are strong and durable, and designed to withstand harsh conditions.
Corrosion Resistant- The fittings and tube which comprise KeeGuard are constructed from galvanised steel and thus resist the effects of corrosion.
Architectural Look- Our guardrail systems have a strong architectural look and rather than look out of place, they look like a natural part of the building. However, the Foldshield option allows for the guardrail to be collapsible and thus out of sight if desired.
Skyways guardrail systems are used in developments all over Ireland, and we specialize in customizing the system to meet the required environment. They can also be used in conjunction with the KeeGuard® Ladder Kit, which offers a safe access point for access and egress. Our guardrail projects include Hamilton Sundstrand in Shannon, Dublin Airport and Tallaght Hospital.
If you would like to view our brochures to find out about the individual traits of our guardrail systems, you can do so here:
KeeGuard® -Free-standing roof edge protection
KeeGuard® Premium -Free-standing protection where space is at a premium
KeeGuard® Foldshield -Collapsible guardrail
KeeGuard® Topfix -For standing seam and metal roofs
KeeGuard® Ladder Kit -Kit which enables ladder access points